Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
9 597
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Kaan needs at least 10 years to be exported. We can't even sell it to Azerbaijan with the f110 engine.
Can Dr Kotil's schedule for the TF35K engine be dismissed as wishful thinking? A few months ago he claimed it would be installed in KAAN in 2028.

With valid prototypes possibly starting to test fly in 2025 (frame 0 was just an exercise in nationalistic bluster IMO), when could testing of the airframe and systems be completed? I imagine that there will be systems not yet fully developed when flight testing starts.

I have no actual knowledge of progress made but I wonder when fully functioning IOC F110 production aircraft will start being delivered. 2030 would be an achievement in my book.

Initial production will all be absorbed by the Turkish air force so I don't see that it matters much if an exportable KAAN is not available for another 10 years.

Any news on the TF10K engine?

No Name

Reactions
6 398
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Can Dr Kotil's schedule for the TF35K engine be dismissed as wishful thinking? A few months ago he claimed it would be installed in KAAN in 2028.

With valid prototypes possibly starting to test fly in 2025 (frame 0 was just an exercise in nationalistic bluster IMO), when could testing of the airframe and systems be completed? I imagine that there will be systems not yet fully developed when flight testing starts.

I have no actual knowledge of progress made but I wonder when fully functioning IOC F110 production aircraft will start being delivered. 2030 would be an achievement in my book.

Initial production will all be absorbed by the Turkish air force so I don't see that it matters much if an exportable KAAN is unavailable for another 10 years.

All we know is that 54 successful tests were committed with the TF-6000 and that work is continuing on the TF10 Turkiye today has an artical on Turkey's engine development if you want a quick run down.

Spitfire9

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
9 597
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
AFAIK installed for testing in 2028/2029 (mixed-engine test), not in service.
There are examples like Dassault Mirage F1 and F-15E Strike Eagle, where this also happened in the past.
Sure, 1 x TF35K could be installed in KAAN with 1 x F110.

I don't know a thing about testing. How useful would it be if the thrust asked of the still-in-development TF35K had to be greatly limited in flight testing for safety reasons? Perhaps I have not understood and the aircraft concerned would only be performing ground runs in 2028/2029, allowing greater thrust to be used.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
34 14,381
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Initial production will all be absorbed by the Turkish air force so I don't see that it matters much if an exportable KAAN is not available for another 10 years.

The plan is to deliver the first engine to TAI in 2028/2029 to be integrated into the KAAN. Integration and flight tests will probably take at least 2-3 years so the first KAAN with the national engine can be delivered in 2032 if everything goes smoothly. First mechanical integration/fitting tests will be done, after that ground testing activity will continue with ground/taxi runs. Finally, it will fly and will be tested at different altitudes/thrust levels/mach numbers. Prototype KAAN will have 1xF110 and 1xTF-35K. Later another prototype will have 2xTF-35K after the engine passes enough tests.

Last edited:

Quasar

Contributor
The Post Deleter
Reactions
46 2,978
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
GXtKQCYXQAAcNIc

TF-X KAAN's test flight configuration

Strong AI

Contributor
Reactions
30 3,498
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Making evaluations about the delivery of KAAN warplanes to Azerbaijan, for which negotiations are still ongoing, Demiroğlu said, "We are planning to meet Azerbaijan's needs in this direction. Since this project is still in its early stages, it is difficult to give a definitive opinion. The project is planned to continue until 2030."

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,325
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
TF35000 engine can be flown on a Kızılelma of a suitable size and you don't wait years for the engine to be useful. Once the engine runs reliably for an unmanned plane it can power a single engine unmanned plane provided that the plane is mature enough to carry such an expensive engine. Early engines can also be flown on unmanned Kaan planes for tests as well or straight for the fight if it is ripe enough. As early as 2027.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
69 9,319
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
TF35000 engine can be flown on a Kızılelma of a suitable size and you don't wait years for the engine to be useful. Once the engine runs reliably for an unmanned plane it can power a single engine unmanned plane provided that the plane is mature enough to carry such an expensive engine. Early engines can also be flown on unmanned Kaan planes for tests as well or straight for the fight if it is ripe enough. As early as 2027.
Expect it to be tested alongside an F110 in a prototype Kaan instead. Noone's going to enlarge KE or create an unmanned Kaan just for engine tests.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,325
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Expect it to be tested alongside an F110 in a prototype Kaan instead. Noone's going to enlarge KE or create an unmanned Kaan just for engine tests.
Not just for testing purposes, isn't it already obvious. You want to use the Kaan engine on other platforms too. Instead of using it on a manned fighter it makes sense to use it on a larger unmanned fighter as the future of fighters is likely to be unmanned. Manned fighters would be twin engined and single engine ones would be unmanned. I think it is better to make a large unmanned fighter with a single Kaan engine instead of making a LCA Hürjet with a foreign engine. We need to see how Turkish unmanned fighters evolve and take the appropriate path.

Please note that using the engine on an unmanned fighter is for the purpose of inducting the engine like 4 years before it would be inducted on a manned fighter as an unmanned fighter need lesser reliability on the engine side.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom