TR TF-X KAAN Fighter Jet

buraktunahan

Reactions
9 366
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have read many parts of the report. Some parts of the report consist of encyclopedic information. Some parts of the report give technical information about the engines. Some sections also provide information about companies and country regulations.

In particular, I re-read the "executive summary" section and the "conclusion" section. However, I still do not understand why this report was prepared and what it would do. I could not come to a conclusion about the purpose of this report. :unsure:

For example, I would expect a report like this: We have the production technology of so-and-so part of the engine. But we cannot produce such and such parts and we need support. In order to obtain such technology, we must initiate a research and development project. Such technology, on the other hand, must be purchased from a foreign partner. Or we should buy locally from xxxx company. We can probably finish the engine in xx years. etc. concrete information.

Maybe I couldn't understand the report because my capacity was insufficient. Maybe there are parts I missed. I don't know this. I would appreciate if someone who is an expert on this subject could explain the report.

In summary, my question is: What does this report do? :unsure:

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,949
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
And 100 percent means what? Invisible.
istockphoto-1193899178-612x612.jpg

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,381
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
this means very close to 0.01 which is targeted RCS. 0.01x100:97=0.0103092...something like that?

Iirc 0.01m^2 or -20 dbcm (from frontal arc?) was TurAF requirement.

1686059446601.png

But it could be the case that, TUSAS has its own higher target regarding RCS reduction.
Maybe that's what they are taking about here?

Last edited:

godel44

Reactions
8 393
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think it's possible they aim for less than 0.01 m^2 at the moment. @TheInsider had also quoted a much smaller RCS. From this piece of news it seems they are almost there in terms of RAM and they will try to make it even better but there is no clear indication of what their target was.

What I really wonder about is how Kaan Block 1 might fare against the F-35. F-35 might have a lower RCS at 0.0015 m^2 but Kaan's larger radar in its huge nose might compensate for the higher RCS to some extent. This article that was posted in the past assumes a 0.01 m^2 RCS for Kaan's first block and 0.003 for the second block and finds Kaan can take on the F-35 starting from the second block with 0.003 m^2. If the work on RAM goes better than expected and we reach a lower RCS in the first block it would be excellent. In the worst case scenario F-35 will make its way to our neighborhood around 2028 when Kaan Block 1 is supposed to enter inventory.

Last edited:

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,381
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Some example of F-35s heat signature. (Taken by HD FLIR)

1686086715996.png

Last edited:

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,571
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Technologies planned in the design of KAAN but not available on the F-35:
- Laser Countermeasure System (Aselsan Yıldırım DIRCM)
- Supercruise
(supersonic flying without an afterburner)
- 360° AESA Radar coverage
- IRST Infrared Passive Sensor
(DAS on the F-35 cannot mark).

The part I highlighted in orange confused me, what is this "marking" exactly?

Last edited:

Hasanrize

Committed member
Reactions
1 509
Nation of residence
Finland
Nation of origin
Turkey

The part I highlighted in orange confused me, what is this "marking" exactly?
First of all, do not take that account seriously. He is just trying to get more followers by spreading overly optimistic thoughts.

Also, do not compare what F-35 is as a working platform to what we want from MMU in the 2035s. There is no guarantee that all we wanted will come to life, and F-35 will be much more updated when MMU gets into service.

Also, when one subsystem exists on both platforms does not mean they are equal; remember, ASELSAN makes one while Northrop-Grumman makes the other. We plan separate IRST, but how can we be sure that IRST will be better than F-35's EOTS combined one? Like, when we got CATS, people thought we had an equal camera, but in reality, Mx-15 is still way ahead of CATS. It will be similar when it comes to F-35 subsystems vs. MMU subsystems.

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,539
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
First of all, do not take that account seriously. He is just trying to get more followers by spreading overly optimistic thoughts.

Also, do not compare what F-35 is as a working platform to what we want from MMU in the 2035s. There is no guarantee that all we wanted will come to life, and F-35 will be much more updated when MMU gets into service.

Also, when one subsystem exists on both platforms does not mean they are equal; remember, ASELSAN makes one while Northrop-Grumman makes the other. We plan separate IRST, but how can we be sure that IRST will be better than F-35's EOTS combined one? Like, when we got CATS, people thought we had an equal camera, but in reality, Mx-15 is still way ahead of CATS. It will be similar when it comes to F-35 subsystems vs. MMU subsystems.
Uh uh oh like CATS is worse on paper (compared to MX-15), TOYGUN is not(actually better on paper compared to EOTS). Also DAS is a continuous zoom system, not a dedicated IRST

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom