Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
41 1,487
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Koreans have already started the serial production work in less then 3 years after first flight.
Production phase reaching, or even ending LRIP is not a sign of full reliability, or the plane being tried and true.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,161
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
KF21 is more like a 4.5-gen. It do not super cruise and has no internal bay.
We are talking about making the plane reliable enough to go to production which makes it reliable enough to test prototype engines with and not about actually going into production.

Bozan

Contributor
Reactions
5 1,624
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Has any of the manufacturing process been shown ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bozan

Contributor
Reactions
5 1,624
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
KF21? Report says they will commence production starting this year. The Korean aerospace industry is very mature, so it's very possible. But they are rushing to capture the market, for sure.

No, Kaan

Spitfire9

Committed member
Reactions
6 372
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
India waited for the engine deal. She didn't want to rely on American Engines; they can cut off supply at any time. Recently, France and India agreed on joint collaboration to make a 110KN engine. So now, funds will be released. CCS approval was stalled in April 2023. But I am guessing KAAN will be out before AMCA anyway.
Until a contract between India and Dassault is signed including exactly what is required of a new engine, what techologies are to be transferred from Safran, workshare breakdown, cost etc - it's not a done deal. I will not be surprised if CCS approval is stalled until after engine contract signature.

PS Turkiye is in a different position. While developing an engine for AMCA within 10 years looks impossible for India on her own, developing an engine for Kaan within 10 years does not look impossible for Turkiye on her own.

Last edited:

Chocopie

Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
33 1,924
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
KF21? Report says they will commence production starting this year. The Korean aerospace industry is very mature, so it's very possible. But they are rushing to capture the market, for sure.
Koreans rushing because we urgently need to replace ageing 80 F-5E/F and 19 F-4 Phantom II fighter jets which are literally falling from the sky due to mechanical failures and airframe fatigue.

ROKAF has postponed retirement of both aircraft models several times. A dozen crashes since 2000 are killing our pilots. The first batch of 20 KF-21 Block I (LRIP 2024-2026) is for domestic use only - production for export market unthinkable before 2028-2030.

Spitfire9

Committed member
Reactions
6 372
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Koreans rushing because we urgently need to replace ageing 80 F-5E/F and 19 F-4 Phantom II fighter jets which are literally falling from the sky due to mechanical failures and airframe fatigue.

ROKAF has postponed retirement of both aircraft models several times. A dozen crashes since 2000 are killing our pilots. The first batch of 20 KF-21 Block I (LRIP 2024-2026) is for domestic use only - production for export market unthinkable before 2028-2030.

I think that KF-21 and Kaan are planned for a production rate of 20 a year. If, for example, Philippines wanted to order, would KAI raise the production rate? Same thing could be asked if a country wanted to order Kaan in its early production years.

Chocopie

Contributor
Reactions
33 1,924
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
I think that KF-21 and Kaan are planned for a production rate of 20 a year. If, for example, Philippines wanted to order, would KAI raise the production rate? Same thing could be asked if a country wanted to order Kaan in its early production years.
Depends on sales. KAI opened new production lines due to high demand and raised annual capacity from 36 up to 48 for T-50/TA-50/FA-50 series.

KF-21 is estimated to reach a rate of 2-3 per month, so 24+ units annually if all production kinks are smoothed out.

Cash strapped countries like Philippines usually order very small batches not more than 12 units: that wouldn‘t be enough IMO to open new production lines. Highly automated smart factory lines are very expensive to set up although flexibly scalable.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,702
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The production line being set up for KAAN has been planned according to the capacity to rollout two aircraft per month starting from 2029. The main plan is 24 per year, but it was stated directly by the TAI GM that there is a plan to exceed this in case of external demand. In the 2030s, deliveries will be made not only to the TAF, but also to the Azerbaijan Air Force, which is participating in the development phase of the program. Accordingly, an off-set agreement with Azerbaijan is also on the agenda. In a broader plan, Azerbaijan will be among the main operator countries for most of the aviation programs under development in Turkiye, as these platforms enter mass production.

If I turn to TAI, in the 2020-2030 period, it will be a company that has grown several times in terms of closed area and machine park on the fixed wing aircraft side. Since we don't bring it up on every page here, it has been left behind, but in the Ankara Kazan Space and Aviation Specialized Organized Industrial Zone, probably the largest aviation organized industrial zone in Europe is being established, including TAI and other KAAN subsystem suppliers. We can say that the main infrastructure and machinery investments are already geared towards production side. If we can successfully carry KAAN to that stage, I believe that our work will be a little more comfortable as we have already taken early measures on the production side.

Scott Summers

Committed member
Reactions
2 462
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The production line being set up for KAAN has been planned according to the capacity to rollout two aircraft per month starting from 2029. The main plan is 24 per year, but it was stated directly by the TAI GM that there is a plan to exceed this in case of external demand. In the 2030s, deliveries will be made not only to the TAF, but also to the Azerbaijan Air Force, which is participating in the development phase of the program. Accordingly, an off-set agreement with Azerbaijan is also on the agenda. In a broader plan, Azerbaijan will be among the main operator countries for most of the aviation programs under development in Turkiye, as these platforms enter mass production.

If I turn to TAI, in the 2020-2030 period, it will be a company that has grown several times in terms of closed area and machine park on the fixed wing aircraft side. Since we don't bring it up on every page here, it has been left behind, but in the Ankara Kazan Space and Aviation Specialized Organized Industrial Zone, probably the largest aviation organized industrial zone in Europe is being established, including TAI and other KAAN subsystem suppliers. We can say that the main infrastructure and machinery investments are already geared towards production side. If we can successfully carry KAAN to that stage, I believe that our work will be a little more comfortable as we have already taken early measures on the production side.

Not a good idea to let Azerbaijan unconditionally participate in our Wunderwaffen-programs.

Azerbaijan is a very Israel-friendly country and the Mossad is everywhere in Azerbaijan. Definitely not a good idea.

Last edited:

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,276
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
That's not how engines work. You can't synchronize or control 2 different engines without destroying the plane. It is tricky as it gets when its the same make and model.
Why do you think so? There's FADEC these days so there are much more flexibility in terms of how you operate engines.

No, F-4s are already being replaced by F-35s, hence they are going to be retired this year. KF-21 is replacing the F-5 variants and F-16PBU.

Chocopie

Contributor
Reactions
33 1,924
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
No, F-4s are already being replaced by F-35s, hence they are going to be retired this year. KF-21 is replacing the F-5 variants and F-16PBU.
True, retirement of the last F-4 squadron in Suwon this June 2024 already 😳

I was mistaken they would fly as long as F-5s until ~2030.

So, then only Türkiye, Greece and Iran left with active F-4E Phantoms!

Farewell post with cool old F-4 pics (in Korean): https://www.joongang.co.kr/article/25225062

Sai

Reactions
Nation of residence
Singapore
Nation of origin
India
Until a contract between India and Dassault is signed including exactly what is required of a new engine, what techologies are to be transferred from Safran, workshare breakdown, cost etc - it's not a done deal. I will not be surprised if CCS approval is stalled until after engine contract signature.

PS Turkiye is in a different position. While developing an engine for AMCA within 10 years looks impossible for India on her own, developing an engine for Kaan within 10 years does not look impossible for Turkiye on her own.
I am very aware of Turkiye capabilities, but building a jet engine is no easy task. Even China, which has reverse-engineered Soviet engines and stolen data from the US, took them two decades. And they have spent huge chunks of money on the engine program. I am not talking about TF10000, but if TAI managed to make a reliable TF35000 (155KN) engine within a decade, that would become a turning point in the Turkish defense industry.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,161
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I am very aware of Turkiye capabilities, but building a jet engine is no easy task. Even China, which has reverse-engineered Soviet engines and stolen data from the US, took them two decades. And they have spent huge chunks of money on the engine program. I am not talking about TF10000, but if TAI managed to make a reliable TF35000 (155KN) engine within a decade, that would become a turning point in the Turkish defense industry.
Modern engineering tools that were not available 5-10 years in the past such as machine learning, high fidelity simulation, AI, additive manufacturing and more can help speed up the development process.

Isbara

Reactions
2 104
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Does anybody seriously believe that Kaan will fly with a domestic engine before the 2030's? The 2028 target is based on what? Optimism of the most extreme order, I think. Or nothing at all - just a convenient, fictitious date.

Is there some need to convey the impression that if the US blocked F110 supplies due to political differences, it would not cripple the programme since Turkiye would only need it during the prototype development and testing phase?
And on the other hand, there's no project declared by the officals yet. Kale, TrMotor, TEI all talking about their efforts to develop Kaan's engines but there's no ongoing official project.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom