Ardabas34

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
@era_shield @tornadoss

By unique design if you guys refer to inverted v tail a quick google search shows the first one was a WW2 era Nazi aircraft:

The first drone similiar to TB-2s design however was appearently this:
It says first flight 1991.

Also Turkey also bought 9 of them.

Lets not forget Selcuk Bayraktar received his education on drone systems in MIT, not a Turkish university. Though I heard Akinci was actually his fathers design. Is this also true for TB-2 I dont know.

dustdevil

Committed member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
@era_shield @tornadoss

By unique design if you guys refer to inverted v tail a quick google search shows the first one was a WW2 era Nazi aircraft:

The first drone similiar to TB-2s design however was appearently this:
It says first flight 1991.

Also Turkey also bought 9 of them.

Lets not forget Selcuk Bayraktar received his education on drone systems in MIT, not a Turkish university. Though I heard Akinci was actually his fathers design. Is this also true for TB-2 I dont know.
Baykar Mini UAV first version was also a twin boom inverted V tail design. As far as I remember there were other inverted V tail UAV/RC aircraft examples back then in USA universities but I can’t find them since more than ~15 years have passed. Probably they were influenced either by one of them or RQ-7 or any other aircraft configuration.

AD3E6F9E-EFF7-4EA7-AD61-70F192CBBF3E.jpeg

725B298F-1BB7-4524-8DD2-813A247FFE71.jpeg

There is an old link showing first version of mini UAV and a model that looks like TB2:

I remember Haluk Bayraktar joining to our forum (turkish defense maybe). I recommended or asked him to build mini UAV in a more simple and robust way like other military drones. Of course he probably did not listen 🤣 (he answered like it could be done if needed) but after years this is mini UAV:

FDEB4A10-52FC-4B7A-8FAA-025E28023DF2.jpeg

Last edited:

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I would like to bring to the attention of our members his sentence about the domestic turbofan engine project which I think is the thrust ratio in the interview that was done with Mr. Özsahin in December 2021.

Mr Özsahin from TEI: "The engine is also the most difficult subject of aviation. In this context, only four or five countries in the world have this technology. The dominant powers in the world in this regard are the USA, Canada, England, France, Russia and Ukraine. We are on the way to making engines with more than 10,000 (lb?) thrust. Of course, these works by TEI are seen as a threat. In this context, we encounter various obstacles."

Fuzuli NL

Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
20 8,295
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Baykar Mini UAV first version was also a twin boom inverted V tail design. As far as I remember there were other inverted V tail UAV/RC aircraft examples back then in USA universities but I can’t find them since more than ~15 years have passed. Probably they were influenced either by one of them or RQ-7 or any other aircraft configuration.

View attachment 41233

View attachment 41234
There is an old link showing first version of mini UAV and a model that looks like TB2:

I remember Haluk Bayraktar joining to our forum (turkish defense maybe). I recommended or asked him to build mini UAV in a more simple and robust way like other military drones. Of course he probably did not listen 🤣 (he answered like it could be done if needed) but after years this is mini UAV:

View attachment 41235

dustdevil

Committed member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Nice! Image search from flight sim screen also provided this paper:

This paper has some info on the type and tells why is selected for that particular research so might have influenced the same way…Looks like Aerosonde UAV is used in many research papers as a go to UAV because it’s supported by Aerosim software.

726E673A-7EB3-4EF1-B1FB-86F5B785167D.jpeg

Last edited:

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,782
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,544
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Missiles do not look very accurate, nor do they show precision towards a target. It can be that the development is still ongoing but like this it does not look very useful yet.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,185
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Songar probably only has the precision of a 40 mm grenade launcher.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,185
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
İsmail DEMİR, President of Defense Industries:

"When you lift a plane from an aircraft carrier, how many hours can that plane stay in the air?
You can put up to 80 AUAVs on the Anadolu ship, raise 15-20 AUAVs at the same time and hit the target.

It's a game-changing concept"

When they can operate TB3 and Kızılelma from Anadou it is a breakthrough already.
There are studies to fly Hürjet from Anadolu too but Hürjet may be a little too heavy for the task with its weight twice as much as that of the Kızılelma.

Last edited:

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,613
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
When they can operate TB3 and Kızılelma from Anadou it is a breakthrough already.
There are studies to fly Hürjet from Anadolu too but Hürjet may be a little too heavy for the task with its weight twice as much as that of the Kızılelma.
i honestly dont think Hürjet is considered for LHD ships like TCG Anadolu. wouldnt be very feasible. (Unless theyre working on a STOVL variant like F35B? @TheInsider ?)

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,703
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
There is no STOVL variant for Hurjet. There is a naval variant and studies continue on the background but it is not very high on the priority list. TAI concentrated on two milestones regarding Hurjet. Maiden flight in 2023 and delivery in 2025(training version). Any possible naval variant will only be a priority after those milestones are achieved. Light fighter Hurjet and naval variant will probably be merged into a single project.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,613
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
There is no STOVL variant for Hurjet. There is a naval variant and studies continue on the background but it is not very high on the priority list. TAI concentrated on two milestones regarding Hurjet. Maiden flight in 2023 and delivery in 2025(training version). Any possible naval variant will only be a priority after those milestones are achieved. Light fighter Hurjet and naval variant will probably be merged into a single project.
is it going to be a CATOBAR compatible plane, or we're gonna employ the russian method?

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,703
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
No, it won't be a CATOBAR fighter. It will most likely be STOBAR and institutions are also evaluating the possibility of an electromagnetic launch system.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,613
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
No, it won't be a CATOBAR fighter. It will most likely be STOBAR and institutions are also evaluating the possibility of an electromagnetic launch system.
russian method it is then.
I'm really not vibing with the STOBAR config bcuz it hampers the payload and range possibilities of the plane, but it works as a short term solution, i guess.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,703
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
IMHO the plan is STOBAR Hurjet(2027) and UCAV(2025) for immediate needs and an electromagnetic launch system capable TF-X and UCAV for future(2030+) platforms.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom