Contributor
France Correspondent
Reactions
10 1,544
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
France
Well, if we needed it so urgently why didnt we buy a Nato system in the last twenty years? Yes, we wanted technology transfer. Did. we get it from russians? This S400 debacle is one of the utter failures in recent history. Also the Turkish High Command wanted F35 and everything was prepared. So either it was a mistake to enter that program or a mistake to manage to be kicked out! So which mistake did we do in your opinion!?

People in this forum believes that the US never wanted to sale the Patriots system to Turkiye, but this is not the truth.

Raytheon was about to sale it but Turkiye wanted ToT with it. Obviously Raytheon refused. Ismail Demir said it himself, that when Turkiye wants to buy some defense product they always ask for ToT.

I don’t usually supports the US but we need to blame the government in this case. I mean, the US never gave it to Israel, their closest ally, what makes them think that they will give it to Turkiye ?

No country will give you the plan of one of their most critical asset. No matter the amount of money you put on the table.

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,984
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
People in this forum believes that the US never wanted to sale the Patriots system to Turkiye, but this is not the truth.

Raytheon was about to sale it but Turkiye wanted ToT with it. Obviously Raytheon refused. Ismail Demir said it himself, that when Turkiye wants to buy some defense product they always ask for ToT.

I don’t usually supports the US but we need to blame the government in this case. I mean, the US never gave it to Israel, their closest ally, what makes them think that they will give it to Turkiye ?

No country will give you the plan of one of their most critical asset. No matter the amount of money you put on the table.
The price tag for the first offer for Patriot was $7,8 billion, the second when Trump was President $3,5 billon pretty expensive in comparison.

Personally was always for the SAMP-T and against American and especially Russian option in order to avoid diplomatic collision with USA, CAATSA and risk the Industrial participation of the F-35 deal, but yeah Reis and his circle full of genius people know what they are doing.

They also could have wait until the first F-35's arrived in Türkiye and then sign the S-400 deal but....

Brokengineer

Committed member
Reactions
1 480
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Also Mr Demir stated US offered Patriot systems without trials. Is that because system is not capable or they are offering some non functioning unit under patriot programme?
Turkey always demand ToT, since when? Thats important point. If you started to understand the trick behind sams and you are at most 3-5 years behind to come up something like samp-t, then surely i would have demanded ToT as well.

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,984
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
the people making the SAMP-T system are still not willing to share ToT, per Ismail Demir's statements.
Did Russia gave ToT for S-400? No.

At least Türkiye (Roketsan) signed a contract with Italy and France (Eurosam) for air and ballistic missile defence systems there was already a strategic cooperation among the countries and the purchase of SAMP-T could have boost further talks for ToT or at least local production.

Bmx98

Reactions
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
Did Russia gave ToT for S-400? No.
Yes they did, not full tot but they definitely gave more than Eurosamp which only taught Roketsan how the boosters of the missiles are made and literally nothing else.

Last edited:

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Only a super dumb person buy a weapon from Russians on this political climate while whole world is watching Ukraine. But I won't be surprised if the news of S400 were true, as some does not understand what global reputation or image means, they only want to cheer up some ignorants (populism).

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,866
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yes Ukraine can.
Mig-29 with HARMs destroyed Russian SAMs.

İf Ukraine does, it means Greeks also can do it since they have F-16s.

İ am really wondering capabilities of S400 against f-16.

I have my doubts. The reason why we are so successful in destroying Russian ADS, are our UAV, ammunition and EW capabilities. The old Russian system are developed to engage old Westen planes (like F-16 Greece has).

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,866
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Others already destroyed several Russian systems long before us and also still destroys now!!
Especially Israel!!
Any fighter aircraft is priority than any defense systems including USA ones. And especially when this fighter is a stealth one like f-35 and especially when your air force made plans accordingly!

Israel is in a different league. You can’t compare it with Ukraine or Greece. Remember as US/Israel were so afraid as Iran would to purchase S-300 system.

Fighter_35

Contributor
Reactions
1 739
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkey needed an Air Defence system urgently, it was basically an emergency because there was no high altitude ad system. The only defence we had was our own fighter jets.

A stealth fighter jet is less important and not an emergency because non of our neighbours have it.

The West did not sell air defence systems. And Russia was willing to. The Singaporean military estimated the F-35 would run for only 4 months after a US supply embargo.

Ukrainian S300 have done an amazing job denying Russia air superiority. I also think drone strikes are assisted by EW.

i think Turkish High Command knows more than the F35 fanboys here. Let's develop indigenous systems so we don't have to suck up to them.
Air forces choice was clear,the idiot decision was made by akp assigned SSB and Erdoğan

Fighter_35

Contributor
Reactions
1 739
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Israel is in a different league. You can’t compare it with Ukraine or Greece. Remember as US/Israel were so afraid as Iran would to purchase S-300 system.
No one was afraid that Iran would get s-300!!
We already proved that s-300 could be easily defeated long before our operations in Syria etc.
And you should choose some multiple aurcarfts over any air defense systems!!
Since with ew, and special missiles ,these systems can easily be defeated!!

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,866
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
No one was afraid that Iran would get s-300!!
We already proved that s-300 could be easily defeated long before our operations in Syria etc.
And you should choose some multiple aurcarfts over any air defense systems!!
Since with ew, and special missiles ,these systems can easily be defeated!!

I remember otherwise.

MarcusZidanta

Reactions
1 74
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Air forces choice was clear,the idiot decision was made by akp assigned SSB and Erdoğan
Air Force Descision was F35 and S400. Not just F35.

They were not going to give it to us anyway. S400 is just a hoax.

Israel and Greece was lobbying heavily against Turkish weapon sales, and US wouldn't break balance of power in Aegean airspace'.

If we didn't get S400, they would say:
'Turkey needs to stop attacking American allies in Syria'
'Turkey needs to stop invading Greek airspace'
'Turkey needs to stop drilling in east med'.

Yada yada and bird country bad.

They won't sell us samp-t because French, Patriot is shit and expensive (proven how bad it is in saudi arabia). Russians have decades of experience in AD, and Turkey needs air defence systems more than stealth fighters, that's a fact.

30 odd turkish soldiers died in operation spring shield due to Assad warplanes bombing, because we don't have AD (we had to get hawk air defence from other borders to fill gaps in syria). More and better air defence would've prevented that, F35 no.

Last edited:

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
10 9,053
Nation of residence
United Kingdom

Israel and Greece was lobbying heavily against Turkish weapon sales, and US wouldn't break balance of power in Aegean airspace'.

They won't sell us samp-t because French, Patriot is shit and expensive (proven how bad it is in saudi arabia). Russians have decades of experience in AD, and Turkey needs air defence systems more than stealth fighters, that's a fact.

30 odd turkish soldiers died in operation spring shield due to Assad warplanes bombing, because we don't have good AD. Good air defence would've prevented that, F35 no.

The USA lays out traps in front of Turkey, its up to the Turkish government not to walk into them. S400 was a clear trap that AK party dived head first into. Joining the american/isreali war against Assad was another trap, once erdogan dived into they have used syria to screw Turkey in every way possible.

things like the pkk peace process was another trap that AK party dived head first into. AK party showed the world that it is ok to accommodate and legitimise these terrorists since Turkey herself was bending her arse over to accommodate them.

We got to start recognising the failure that is ak party. We got to put the cultish behavior to the side and call a spade a spade.

S400 was a total failure for Turkey gained us nothing with the west and then the Russians went and bombed Turkish troops.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,099
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
"We didnt get the F35 because of the S400, but even then they would not give it to us because of (insert some random mumbo-jumbo)" is such a weak argument. No substance at all imo. Its a deeply apologetic argument in defense of the (bad) decision makers with no meat on the bone.

It's entirely speculation, there was no indication of an embargo - Turkish pilots were actually in training.

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
31 4,928
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

30 odd turkish soldiers died in operation spring shield due to Assad warplanes bombing, because we don't have AD (we had to get hawk air defence from other borders to fill gaps in syria). More and better air defence would've prevented that, F35 no.
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas. The fact is we had our F35s ready for delivery and the imprudence of the government cost us to loose a very strategic asset(not even counting the worsening image and economic repercussions ). Furthermore, we were a supplier of the Joint Strike Fighter Program. We were in the chain. We were benefitting from it greatly. Every global sale of the aircraft meant more business for us.

I don't understand how can someone compare a stealth fighter with an AD system and find the latter more of value. In reality a stealth fighter is orders of magnitude more valuable than any given AD system. SAM can only buy you some time. They cannot make up for a shitty air force. In a war, those systems are the first targets. If your adversary have a competent air force equipped with stand-off missiles, your cutting-edge AD system wouldn't even stand a chance. This is true for any AD (including SİPER). A squadron of F35s would pull apart those batteries like a hot knife through butter. Imagine ÇAKIR was in service. How fast do you think we could overwhelm S-400 with those missiles? We could do it even with the drones we already have.

It was a mistake to buy S-400 and we paid very dearly for it. I hope that we're smarter now and not make the same mistakes again. We have a very promising indigenous AD program and we don't need to pay exorbitant amounts of money to a country which is known for exaggerating their weapons' ability and for their subpar quality. This is not a trade-off worth it.

Last edited:

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,564
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
"We didnt get the F35 because of the S400, but even then they would not give it to us because of (insert some random mumbo-jumbo)" is such a weak argument. No substance at all imo. Its a deeply apologetic argument in defense of the (bad) decision makers with no meat on the bone.

It's entirely speculation, there was no indication of an embargo - Turkish pilots were actually in training.
Ok so, whats the excuse for F-16V then?

i am 99% they wouldnt give F-35s to us even if we didnt buy S-400, S-400 made the process a bit easier for them

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,564
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas. The fact is we had our F35s ready for delivery and the imprudence of the government cost us to loose a very strategic asset(not even counting the worsening image and economic repercussions ). Furthermore, we we're a supplier of the Joint Strike Fighter Program. We we're in the chain. We were benefitting from it greatly. Every global sale of the aircraft meant more business for us.

I don't understand how can someone compare a stealth fighter with an AD system and find the latter more of value. In reality a stealth fighter is orders of magnitude more valuable than any given AD system. SAM can only buy you some time. They cannot make up for a shitty air force. In a war, those systems are the first targets. If your adversary have a competent air force equipped with stand-off missiles, your cutting-edge AD system wouldn't even stand a chance. This is true for any AD (including SİPER). A squadron of F35s would pull apart those batteries like a hot knife through butter. Imagine ÇAKIR was in service. How fast do you think we could overwhelm S-400 with those missiles? We could do it even with the drones we already have.

It was a mistake to buy S-400 and we paid very dearly for it. I hope that we're smarter now and not make the same mistakes again. We have a very promising indigenous AD program and we don't need to pay exorbitant amounts of money to a country which is known for exaggerating their weapons' ability and for their subpar quality. This is not a trade-off worth it.
what is not given in this post is modern AESA are LPI and they are made to fade signals with background noise, it is not easy for any syste"m to do:

"X has standoff missiles bomb here bam bum badabing! Done!"

And for this, you would need hard recon to know where to attack in case of a war, LPI makes them safe against ARM's most of the time too.

+you are comparing two different things, we had to have SAM systems because of lack of them, you cant just use an aircraft to intercept every flying thing, thats just very costly and unsafe to do,
What SAMs do is "Area Denial" they make enemy high command and pilots to stay away from that zone, even if the SAM systems wont be able to shoot them down, it is still a high threat zone with multiple more aerial assets, and being observed with L and S band ground based AESA radars, you cant do this with jets, or old ass I-Hawks.
oh i am not even talking about CM and BM threats, you cant do shit to them with jets.

Now what you are trying to say is SAMs are easy targets, but in reality they are not. They are mobile, they are usually seperate, and newer ones use LPI radars adn the list goes on, without even touching their own capabilities.

Yes, stealth fighters are good, but for the current state of our southern flank, SAMs would do a better job protecting our space and denying enemy jets than F-35.

and if you want deepstrike, we can use MIUS or TISU for that until TF-X arrives.

Until TF-X arrives, a new and different tactic will be used for aerial targets, that would depend on heavy datalink and area denying by SAMs to support our aircraft, eventually forcing enemy to be more cautious and force them to divert their forces. +hitting enemy command bases, logistical centers and airbases (not just a runway but mostly command structure and weapon depots, for example Ukranian attack on Russian Crimean AB and how it destroyed a lot of aircraft and logistical capability) mostly with Stand-off weapons, SRBMs and CMs. Thats why we need Anti Radiation loitering drones, to deny enemy AD to engage these munitions, and AKBABA is a good complementary to this.
Until 2028-2032, we need to usit our F-16s with AESA radars to make them safe against EW and make them, just better. Datalink between AESA equipped MIUS' to F-16s would be a real threat for enemy aircraft, combined with data from ground radars and E-7Ts.
If Baykar can pull off AI for MIUS, we can even use some of them to destroy enemy aircraft, and even if they cant do that good AI, with good sensor suites and radar, it can hunt down enemy F-16s or let it be Iranian or Syrian jets from long range or "stealth" range (keep in mind that none of our enemies have this kind of integration, so they cannot do what i have said to detect stealth, but Rafale's IRST can be a little tricky, so Baykar has to find a way to make aircraft IR stealth). And MIUS is going to have an internal EW, which is a huge + for its capabilities.
As i said before if Baykar can pull off the AI work, it will be superb and can probably be able to best enemy aircraft in dogfights, even if they cant at the first step, being unmanned+stealth is a good stat from the start, best for deepstrike

I remember a reply from Boracetkin about how our E-7Ts were not able to detect F-35s at British airbase in Cyprus, assuming that observations were made from 150-200km from Brtish airbases, thats pretty normal. But this doesnt mean that they cant detect them near 100km or 75, and this heavily explains why we need wingmans to protect our E-7Ts, this radar thing applies to ground based radars, but keep in mind that their effectiveness depends on the ground.

Stealth is not undefeatable, nor SAMs.
but this equation all depends on what your country needs.
A war with Greece not being on the horizon, SAMs can provide better,
Was S-400 a good choice? Who knows, we dont have the stats or how they performed at tests, but i dont really like it, not the performance but other issues like buying weapons from Russia, buying a Patriot or SAMPT would have been better because of the looks and how they could have been integrated to radar network, dont know about SAMPT but Patriot is not really perfect either, so we wouldnt lose anything compared S-400, but we probably wouldnt have any F-35s now same as before, they would have find an issue like "We wont supply jets fore invasion" or "We wont supply F-35s because of our concerns over Greece" or "We wont give F-35s because of human rights" bla bla bla.

and to guys who says "We should have waited for F-35s to arrive and then buy S-400", well no
the reason is they would have cut the supply and parts flow, so we would have them grounded in months, and if we tried to reverse engineer, we would get sanctioned to shit, probably worse than Iran"

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Latest posts

Top Bottom