Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
60 7,588
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
We haven't heard about LCACs for Anadolu for years at this point. Any updates?

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
President ERDOĞAN: “We talked to different countries to build a real Aircraft Carrier, we are still in talks.”

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,425
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
If we consider the strategic logic, in the near future Turkey is not in a need for full flegde CSG. As its advantageous geographic position between three continents makes it almost like an unsinkable carrier.

But more importantly, Turkey doesn't have any oversea treaty allies or territories to protect.

In my opinion, it would be a better choice to invest the same money in development of medium size SSN like baracuda. A fleet of 4/6 SSN would give Turkey much more effective and credible deterrence against conventionally and numerically superior adversaries, like superpowers.

@dBSPL @Sanchez et al. What do you guys think?

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
If we consider the strategic logic, in the near future Turkey is not in a need for full flegde CSG. As its advantageous geographic position between three continents makes it almost like an unsinkable carripoper.

But more importantly, Turkey doesn't have any oversea treaty allies or territories to protect.

In my opinion, it would be a better choice to invest the same money in development of medium size SSN like baracuda. A fleet of 4/6 SSN would give Turkey much more effective and credible deterrence against conventionally and numerically superior adversaries, like a superpower.

@dBSPL @Sanchez et al. What do you guys think?
Somalia,Libya,Azerbaijan,Qatar,KKTC(Northern Cyrus),New African Allies etc.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,425
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Somalia,Libya,Azerbaijan,Qatar,KKTC(Northern Cyrus),New African Allies etc.
Tbh, only Azerbaijan and Cyprus actually counts. And to protect them Turkey doesn't need CSG at all.

I mean, how to do gonna send a carrier strike gourd into Caspian sea?

And when it comes to Cyprus, a CSG would be an overkill.
As the opposite coastlines of the Mediterranean and Aegean seas are well within the range of Turkish air force and its stand-off missiles, as I said Turkey itself like an unsinkable Aircraft carrier thanks to its geographic location.

And even better, Turkey could develop some airbases in Cyprus, which would give TurAF even wider combat radius deep into Middle east and North Africa.

And when it comes to developing credible blue water capability for medium powers like Turkey, a fleet of modern SSN would be more crucial step than aircraft carrier.

Of course, I am not suggesting to abandon the idea of CSG, rather I am saying it should be the second priority after SSN.

Last edited:

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Tbh, only Azerbaijan and Cyprus actually counts. And to protect them Turkey doesn't need CSG at all.

I mean, how to do gonna send a carrier strike gourd into Caspian sea?

And when it comes to Cyprus, a CSG would be a overkill. The other coast of the Mediterranean is well within range of Turkish air force and stand-off missiles, as I said Turkey itself like an unsinkable Aircraft carrier thanks to its geographic location.

And even better, Turkey could develop some airbases in Cyprus, which would give TurAF even wider combat radius.
And how will we have a blue Navy which is the goal?
Its like you saying,invest in education instead of defence,doesnt make sense for a country like mine.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,425
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
And how will we have a blue Navy which is the goal?
Its like you saying,invest in education instead of defence,doesnt make sense for a country like mine.
With all due respect, A fleet of capable SSN is more crucial to develop true blue water capability than aircraft carriers, specially for medium powers like Turkey.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
With all due respect, A fleet of capable SSN is more crucial to develop true blue water capability than aircraft carriers, specially for medium powers like Turkey.
So,why do france,UK, Italy and even Brasil have them?

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,780
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Different countries have different needs, he is right we really don't need an aircraft carrier at all, especially not while there are a lot more urgent and critical projects that we should focus our time and budget on. Trying to project power on the other side of the planet is a fool's errand while our power is being challenged in our region and a carrier is completely over the top and unnecessary for our needs for a long time.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
60 7,588
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
France and Italy do have blue water navies. Brazil's is more of a tradition from Minas Gerais and they currently do not have a fixed wing carrier. Ex Ocean Atlantico is a helicopter carrier.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Different countries have different needs, he is right we really don't need an aircraft carrier at all, especially not while there are a lot more urgent and critical projects that we should focus our time and budget on. Trying to project power on the other side of the planet is a fool's errand while our power is being challenged in our region and a carrier is completely over the top and unnecessary for our needs for a long time.
As i said before,it takes at least a decade,nobody is talking about the near future(4/7 years).
The main focus should be independence first,engines,chips,defence platforms etc.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
France and Italy do have blue water navies. Brazil's is more of a tradition from Minas Gerais and they currently do not have a fixed wing carrier. Ex Ocean Atlantico is a helicopter carrier.
Brasil had the Sao paulo,decommissioned in 2018.

I_Love_F16

Contributor
France Correspondent
Reactions
10 1,530
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
France

France and the UK have islands in other side of the planet, hence why they have AC's, to be able to protect their overseas territories, and even then they have troubles maintaining these, but why Turkiye ? The Navy is in need of frigates, but no, let's build a big ass aircraft carrier that will cost us billions just to maintain it. Doest't make any sense to be completely honest. We don't know how to manage our priorities. We just like to show off.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
60 7,588
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Brasil had the Sao paulo,decommissioned in 2018.
Sao Paolo was hardly active for the last 10-15 years. They only kept it operating to keep the pilot and flight deck personnel experiences alive. They've been looking to build a new one for the last 30 years and in the last decade they talked about getting French help to build one based on CdG for 2040s but those never bore fruit. They have no projects as of now with the rate of their economy, which may or may not be a tale to learn from for us.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Sao Paolo was hardly active for the last 10-15 years. They only kept it operating to keep the pilot and flight deck personnel experiences alive. They've been looking to build a new one for the last 30 years and in the last decade they talked about getting French help to build one based on CdG for 2040s but those never bore fruit. They have no projects as of now with the rate of their economy, which may or may not be a tale to learn from for us.
You understand that it was only about the point(middle powers with AC's) being made,right?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom