TR TF-X KAAN Fighter Jet

Samba

Reactions
2 114
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In case the f35k progress is not on par with the goals, is there any chance that Turkiye will get engine from Russia or China?

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,615
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
In case the f35k progress is not on par with the goals, is there any chance that Turkiye will get engine from Russia or China?

00.1% chance.

BalkanTurk90

Contributor
Reactions
5 971
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yeah i think so both of them will accept but as u know head of TEI and other Turkisj officials said that Turkiye alone can build an aircraft engine for KAAN.
If we ask for help from china or russia , west againt will do what iy did with S400 .
Some sanctions for some components like engines of warships or ejection seats of Kaan and f16 and no more than that but Turkiye can withstand without those because has strong defence industry itself
F16 will go reserve or replaced . Warships components replaced and so on .
Just like with Wescam of Tb2 that Cats replaced it . Or Ts1400 that replaced US engine one or Altay tank engine that will be replaced with national / Korean one.
If West goes full retard abd put massive economical sanctions than our roads will be splint forever , every US soldier and their equipement on Turkiye will be kick out , Aslo will work to kick them out from syria , iraq , qatar , + 20 other countries .
big Tarifs will be placed on west products and on their transport ships if they pass bosphorus etc etc .
The world will be more devided in two . west vs east

Spitfire9

Reactions
8 389
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Congrats to the clowns who keep repeating this - Chinese propaganda is now using it.
Does it matter what the Chinese say? The design is still fluid, so coating the canopy to lower radar return can be done at a later point. I presume that will not interfere with testing the rest of the aircraft.

No Name

Reactions
5 318
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Does it matter what the Chinese say? The design is still fluid, so coating the canopy to lower radar return can be done at a later point. I presume that will not interfere with testing the rest of the aircraft.

Will it be possible to change certain design parts in the future blocks?

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Will it be possible to change certain design parts in the future blocks?
Everything is possible, espacially easy stuff like shape and coating of canopy, its not a structural element so no worries.
I dont expect the canopy to stay a bare acrylic dome, it will certainly have metallic coating in the future, its just not relevant at this stage yet.
My only worries are engine and avionics, its a giant task to get these on western level.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,684
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Simply to put it, Tempest doesn't exist at this point in time
Rolls Royce exec claims Tempest's tech demo engine will generate "up to five times as much power" compared to the Eurofighter Typhoon.
The Tempest technology demonstration engine will produce thrust, while at the aircraft level it will deliver up to 1MW (1000kW) at peak.
Thoughts?

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,866
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Everything is possible, espacially easy stuff like shape and coating of canopy, its not a structural element so no worries.
I dont expect the canopy to stay a bare acrylic dome, it will certainly have metallic coating in the future, its just not relevant at this stage yet.
My only worries are engine and avionics, its a giant task to get these on western level.
I have my doubts. All the electronics inside, ejection seat, even aerodynamics can suffer.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,615
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,615
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
This was posted before but remains the best open source analysis of KAAN. Second part is also nice.

The analysis also seems to support a previous notion that I learned recently that, greater numbers of TRM does not necessarily increase the range, it only helps you to achieve bigger FoVs and do more jobs simultaneously (E.g. air to air and air to ground and electronic attack) better than an AESA with lesser TRM.

Meaningful increase in the detection range is achieved through better and more powerful TRM. (E.g. GaN based TR modules compared to GaAs TR modules)

Last edited:

Spitfire9

Reactions
8 389
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Rolls Royce exec claims Tempest's tech demo engine will generate "up to five times as much power" compared to the Eurofighter Typhoon.

Thoughts?

Almost no information regarding the Tempest programme is made public. It is speculated that it will be a very large aircraft. It is speculated that electrical power generation will be 400kw. The demonstrator being built may reveal the level of electrical power output.
The timelines we're told regarding indigenous TF35K engine are;

- 2026 First Ignition
- 2028 Platform Integration and first flight
- 2032-2033 serial production

Time will tell if these milestones will be achieved on schedule. It's unlikely but not impossible, imho. The progress of TF6K and TF10K will give us some hint of our abilities. If we suffer any schedule slips with TF6K because of technical issues, then it would be unreasonable to expect TF35K to be put in serial production before 2035.

That sounds reasonable.

My gut reaction is that even if there are minimal problems with the TF6000, a 35,000 lb thrust engine is a very different proposition. The same is almost as true when you compare a 10,000 lb thrust engine to a 35,000 lb thrust engine.

What makes people so confident that the TF35K will not face design and development problems? TEI does not have the technology of the major OEM's. It strikes me as a lttle naive to think that they would get a 35,000 lb thrust engine just about right at the first attempt.

Last edited:

Bürküt

Contributor
Defence News Editor
Reactions
61 2,180
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Almost no information regarding the Tempest programme is made public. It is speculated that it will be a very large aircraft. It is speculated that electrical power generation will be 400kw. The demonstrator being built may reveal the level of electrical power output.

That sounds reasonable.

My gut reaction is that even if there are minimal problems with the TF6000, a 35,000 lb thrust engine is a very different proposition. The same is almost as true when you compare a 10,000 lb thrust engine to a 35,000 lb thrust engine.

What makes people so confident that the TF35K will not face design and development problems? TEI does not have the technology of the major OEM's. It strikes me as a lttle naive to think that they would get a 35,000 lb thrust engine just about right at the first attempt.
First of all, 35 000 lb is very ambitious, yes I agree.But TF35k is being developed to be form fit to F15's engines.In other words, it is enough for us that it performs similar to the engines of the aircraft of the 1970s.By the way, I think reaching 24-26 000 lb with dry thrust is a more difficult goal to achieve than reaching 35 000 lb with afterburner.

Merzifonlu

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
24 2,053
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think reaching 24-26 000 lb with dry thrust is a more difficult goal to achieve than reaching 35 000 lb with afterburner.
What makes the engine challenging is not just the desired 25.000 lb level dry thrust. While giving this thrust level, this engine will blow out as much cold air as possible and will also be a "mini power plant". The weight of the engine that can do all this should not exceed 1800 kg. It's a very difficult task.

Last edited:

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,899
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
First of all, 35 000 lb is very ambitious, yes I agree.But TF35k is being developed to be form fit to F15's engines.In other words, it is enough for us that it performs similar to the engines of the aircraft of the 1970s.By the way, I think reaching 24-26 000 lb with dry thrust is a more difficult goal to achieve than reaching 35 000 lb with afterburner.
To add to the above just look at f110GE129 and f110GE132 engines.
The former is a 17155lbf dry, 29000lbf wet thrust engine.
The latter is a 19000lbf dry, 32500lbf wet thrust engine.

By improving the compressor, combustion and airflow parameters of the same engine and augmenting it “a little” engineering wise, 15% to 20% thrust improvement has been obtained. Now TEI has access to the internals and schematics of this improvement as well as being party to most of its parts production. It is the GE centre of maintenance and repair for the f110ge132.

With that sort of know how under it’s belt TEI is well qualified to squeeze out a lot of thrust from an engine that is f110 size. But taking TF10K as a starting point, the engine TEI is aspiring to build in TF35K is a higher by pass engine as @Merzifonlu has pointed out. It has different parameters and the design is probably going to be fairly unique and individual. To obtain 26000lbf dry thrust is the goal. That will allow KAAN to fly and operate at its optimum and provide enough power for all auxiliary units and probable directed energy weapons.
So we will wait and see. TF6000 will shed a lot of light about where we stand in the future of TF35K.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Latest posts

Top Bottom