Hexciter

Experienced member
Reactions
4 11,447
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
SPECIAL | Roketsan Will Introduce ÇAKIR Missile Tomorrow!
- ÇAKIR, previously introduced as OMGS Missile, can be fired from different platforms
9B098497-C4A9-44C8-A12D-D9537188F648.jpeg

dustdevil

Committed member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkish Navy likes Penguin, in fact even attempted to get an upgrade kit for aged Penguins to keep them active (however konsberg hasn't supplied any). They will definitely love the OMGFS. Longer range, better seeker, better engine, in a lower diameters, these are good bonuses.

It doesn't need to reach ranges of the Atmaca, made to be carried by light platforms and possibly will be on par with NSM, it is a plus feature to be launched from Helicopters, UAVs and USVs thanks to its lower diameter and lower weight (thus the lower warhead). The canisters will also be smaller than NSM (Roketsan is working on a new canister- launcher specially for this).
TEI manager Akşit once told there was a diameter requirement and they had to develop TJ300 at this diameter. So I understood that Navy only wants a medium range antiship missile but with this crazy requirement they created something more than they wanted and they are not aware of the potential…. Mind boggling or I am exaggerating a bit maybe :) this engine is way above OMGSF….

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,783
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
From all info available at the moment, one can say that CAKIR is an economical “Swiss Knife” of anti ship missiles. One size fits all.
But as a Swiss-Knife it is never going to be as effective as a full size Anti Ship misssile like a SOM-C or an Atmaca. it is small and may not have enough explosive to sink a frigate unless you are very lucky. Against FAC sized boats and small corvettes it may prove to be the right missile to use.
As a replacement of Penguin, it will seemingly surpass Penguin in all aspects. So with our helicopters operating from our frigates and corvettes as well as TCG Anadolu, our ships will have a deadly missile in their armoury.
We will find out a little more of it’s range and destructive power when it’s specifications are revealed, provided Roketsan is not too conservative or secretive.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,703
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
SPECIAL | Roketsan Will Introduce ÇAKIR Missile Tomorrow!
- ÇAKIR, previously introduced as OMGS Missile, can be fired from different platforms
View attachment 41862
Yeah, it seems like OMGSF and the Multi-Purpose missile project are merged and now ÇAKIR became a multi-purpose missile. ÇAKIR abbreviation must be something like "Çok Amaçlı KIzılötesi Roket" (Multi Purpose Infrared Rocket)

ÇAKIR will probably be fired from sea, air, and possibly land against sea and land targets. The range of the Çakır should have around 150km when fired from the surface and above 200km when fired from the air.

Hexciter

Experienced member
Reactions
4 11,447
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Direct competitor of Çakir missile is MBDA’s new Marte-ER which has 340 kg launching weight and Carrying a 70 kg warhead to over +100 km distance.
7BACF3A6-5225-4650-89C7-1A62A2B9CE41.jpeg

dustdevil

Committed member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
From all info available at the moment, one can say that CAKIR is an economical “Swiss Knife” of anti ship missiles. One size fits all.
But as a Swiss-Knife it is never going to be as effective as a full size Anti Ship misssile like a SOM-C or an Atmaca. it is small and may not have enough explosive to sink a frigate unless you are very lucky. Against FAC sized boats and small corvettes it may prove to be the right missile to use.
As a replacement of Penguin, it will seemingly surpass Penguin in all aspects. So with our helicopters operating from our frigates and corvettes as well as TCG Anadolu, our ships will have a deadly missile in their armoury.
We will find out a little more of it’s range and destructive power when it’s specifications are revealed, provided Roketsan is not too conservative or secretive.
I think a frigate sized target needs at least 2-3 Atmaca to sink. To penetrate air defense maybe 10 Atmacas are needed. We can combine OMGSF or derivative with Atmaca and strike with maybe 30 missiles to overwhelm the target. I think about Aegis-like ability targets with CIWS sailing with their flotilla/task force.

Light smart torpedo+TJ300+some wing kit could be also possible. Land them near targets outside CIWS range and watch the show.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,703
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think a frigate sized target needs at least 2-3 Atmaca to sink. To penetrate air defense maybe 10 Atmacas are needed. We can combine OMGSF or derivative with Atmaca and strike with maybe 30 missiles to overwhelm the target. I think about Aegis-like ability targets with CIWS sailing with their flotilla/task force.

Light smart torpedo+TJ300+some wing kit could be also possible. Land them near targets outside CIWS range and watch the show.
Depends where you hit. A lucky hit to the fuel depot or armory can make all the difference.

dustdevil

Committed member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Depends where you hit. A lucky hit to the fuel depot or armory can make all the difference.
No no, I don’t mean or want lucky shots. We (navy) must think of statistics before engagement so the more numerous smart and longer range missiles the better.

something like an Atmaca/Harpoon per 50 meters length or 1000 tons.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,853
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
What do you thing about an EMP-Missile? They can knock of the radar and some passive defense systems from shorter range to make the job of ASM easier.

kimov

Committed member
Reactions
1 408
Nation of residence
Sweden
Nation of origin
Turkey

You dont need to sink the frigate as any ship hit by 100kg of HE just 1m above the water line will take the ship out of service for long time.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom