Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,205
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Realization of the TFX engine can pave the way to a high bypass turbofan engine that can be used on a commercial airliner. The material science knowhow will be there and it will be a matter of time to make such engines if there really is a market opportunity.

Last edited:

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,735
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
After that, I think TEI will reveal the TS-3000 turboshaft engines as well.

Besides, TEI will reach higher thrust ratios by modifying TF6000's core. With these developments, Turkey will also have a powerful marine engine and turboprop family.
Isnt the TF-6000 a turbofan (turbojet) engine? Wouldnt converting that to a marine engine be extremely ineffecient? As far as I know, most of the current ships use massive diesel engines till this day for a reason right?

Anastasius

Contributor
Azerbaijan Moderator
Reactions
3 2,941
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
Isnt the TF-6000 a turbofan (turbojet) engine? Wouldnt converting that to a marine engine be extremely ineffecient? As far as I know, most of the current ships use massive diesel engines till this day for a reason right?
It depends on what kind of ship you're using it for.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,205
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Fast warships need turbine engines, cargo ships need fuel economic diesel engines.

Pilatino

Reactions
3 663
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Realization of the TFX engine can pave the way to a high bypass turbofan engine that can be used on a commercial airliner. The material science knowhow will be there and it will be a matter of time to make such engine if there really is a market opportunity..
Turkish airlines with indigenous planes sounds like orgasm

Siper>MMU

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,194
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
We should expect an engine with comparable performance to LM500. But I doubt it since even the small LM500 is based on a larger airliner engine. Maybe they will use it in a dual configuration who wonders..

Edit: Looked up on LM500, its based on CF34 which has 8000lbs thrust. We can expect further versions of TF6000 to be similar with it.

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Comparable Turbofan Engines to TEI TF6000​
TF6000​
1654871750705.png
ADOUR MK 821
1654875139721.png
HTFE-25​
1654872019319.png
F125-GA-100​
1654874919383.png
AI-222-25
1654876679846.png
Dry Thrust6,000 lbf5,511 lbf5,600 lbf6,100 lbf5,552 lbf
Wet Thrust10,000 lbf8,238 lbfN/A9,500 lbf9,262 lbf

Last edited:

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,205
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
31 4,884
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Can someone with the knowledge answer these questions?

1. what would be the approximate price of this engine?
2. what power range of engines could a family of TF6000 engine could provide?
3. assuming it's successful, what would be the potential market of this engine? can you give a number, like how many engines annually?

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,205
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkish airlines with indigenous planes sounds like orgasm
It is blissful to fly your own airliner planes complete with domestic engines and avionics. This can happen in the next 10 years if the market is profitable or strategically reasonable. I am not sure if there is any other country that can do this other than the US.

Last edited:

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
60 29,513
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
After that, I think TEI will reveal the TS-3000 turboshaft engines as well.

Besides, TEI will reach higher thrust ratios by modifying TF6000's core. With these developments, Turkey will also have a powerful marine engine and turboprop family.

My engineer friend at TEI said that the TF-6000 was designed completely modular. There is no need for a different architecture for the MMU. Scaling up will suffice. He said that a 2-engine projection is possible for Hürjet, but there is no roadmap currently planned.

He said that the TS-3000 project was presented to the SSB 2.5 years ago, but the project was completely dead. There has been no movement on the subject for 2.5 years.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,128
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
My engineer friend at TEI said that the TF-6000 was designed completely modular. There is no need for a different architecture for the MMU. Scaling up will suffice. He said that a 2-engine projection is possible for Hürjet, but there is no roadmap currently planned.

He said that the TS-3000 project was presented to the SSB 2.5 years ago, but the project was completely dead. There has been no movement on the subject for 2.5 years.

If so, developing a 12.000lbf engine for hurjet shouldn't be a problem either.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,735
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania

So no engines for Atak 2?

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

I wonder if the Ukrainian engine is wanted to be produced in Turkey instead of developing a national engine? These engines will power two platforms- T929 and T925 and need will be serious. These engines have to be produced in Turkey somehow and I think national engine option is still the most logical one. TAI had only supplied engines for 929 prototypes from Ukraine. We'll probably be able to learn the engine details as the helicopter matures.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,205
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I wonder if the Ukrainian engine is wanted to be produced in Turkey instead of developing a national engine? These engines will power two platforms- T929 and T925 and need will be serious. These engines have to be produced in Turkey somehow and I think national engine option is still the most logical one. TAI had only supplied engines for 929 prototypes from Ukraine. We'll probably be able to learn the engine details as the helicopter matures.
Probably the Ukrainian engine for the 11 ton class helicopters have been invested on and will be produced in Türkiye. This approach eliminates the development cycle and is the shortest path to a domestically produced engine without export restrictions. Enhancements to the engine may also be considered in the process. However from Temel Kotil's statements I kind of gather that TS3000 may be realized too.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,840
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Americans prefer their gas turbine engines. Turbine engines do not take as much space. And crafts furnished with them are much faster. Yes they are thirstier and hence not very economical when cruising. But when you have an Arleigh Burke class destroyer with 4 x LM2500 gas turbines for propulsion, all you need to do is use two of them or even one to save on fuel.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,862
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
There is no lbs. It is lbf (pound force is the unit for thrust). To shorten it some may use pounds thrust in plural. Hence lbs. But not correct nomenclature.
6000lbf dry thrust and 10000lbf with afterburners is probably a bit more powerful than the AI-225-25 which is a near 6000lbf dry thrust and 9200 with afterburner thrust class engine.
If we had designed the Hurjet as a twin engined plane it would have more thrust with two of these.
Now we can seriously and confidently say TEI could produce a indigenous engine for TFX.
How many Ibs F-35 engine has (dry)?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom